This is for all the pound cake lovers out there. I fail to track the number of pound cake recipes I had worked through Tish Boyle’s The Cake Book. I think very soon, I would find myself baking through the whole Cake Book – it is just so reliably good.This recipe is modified from Tish Boyle’s Rich Marble Pound Cake With Chocolate Glaze. I have chosen to skip the frosting and keep it simple. I have also chosen to marble it with a pistachio flavoured batter rather than the chocolate one featured in her book.The effect is quite lovely as I had imagined. In place of the dark brown swirl, the jade green marbling instantly brightens the otherwise plain pound cake and makes it look… brand new. Talk about a cake-makeover!
I am going to keep this post short as I am rushing to tie things up before I leave for my travels again. Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy the pound cake!
Recipe type: Sweets
- 42g/3cups Cake Flour
- 2tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 500g/1.5cups Castor sugar, divided (Please reduce this to 300g- original recipe is too sweet)
- 20g Natural cocao powder (I replaced this with 50g Pistachio paste)
- 90ml Water
- 340g/3sticks Unsalted butter
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 large Eggs
- 120ml (1/2cup) Whole milk
- Preheat oven to 325F/ 190C. Grease the inside of a 10inch bundt pan and dust with flour.
- Sift Cake flour, baking powder and salt and set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter at medium speed for 2 minutes until creamy.
- Add sugar and continue to cream for 4 mins at medium to high speed.
- Add vanilla extract. Add eggs one at a time and mix at medium speed until well mixed.
- Add sifted flour mixture in 3 additions and alternating it with 2 additions of milk.
- Mix cocoa powder with water in a small bowl. Add 3 cups of the batter to the cocoa mixture and stir until blended. (I added my pistachio paste here instead of the cocoa mixture)
- Spoon 1/3 of plain batter into the prepared bundt pan and smooth it to an even layer. Spoon 1/3 of the chocolate (pistachio) mixture over the plain layer and smooth to even out. Repeat until all batter is used up finishing with the chocolate layer.
- Bake at 190C for 60-75mins or until the skewer comes out clean.