Pulut Hitam Pound Cake / Black Glutinous Rice Pound Cake

by Shirley@Køkken on June 9, 2012 · 18 comments

in cake, Sweets, Uncategorized

Post image for Pulut Hitam Pound Cake / Black Glutinous Rice Pound Cake

This is an experimental recipe which I have meant to try for the longest time. My family is a big fan of Pulut Hitam, the black glutinous rice with a unique fragrance and texture that pairs so wonderfully well with coconut milk. Quite some time back, I had actually made this to go with durian pulp.  Today, I am trying to incorporate this exotic ingredient into a pound cake recipe. In fact,I have chosen to use Tish Boyle’s pound cake recipe as a starting point.

HitamPound6

HitamPound7

The way I have experimented with this recipe is pre-cooking the ground Pulut Hitam with water into a paste. This was then added into the pound cake recipe. The cream used in the original recipe was replaced by coconut cream to complement the black glutinous rice. What I have noticed is that this recipe appears to be wetter which had it take longer than the standard 60 minutes to bake. I had to extend the baking by a further 10-15 mins to get it to completely dry up. This resulted in a crust that is somewhat harder than I would like to see or perhaps it is the mold that I am using that is resulting in the hardened crust. If I could use  a lined pound cake mould, I could possibly reduce the degree of browning on the crust. Also, I would like to find a way to disperse the pulut hitam paste, which tends to be a bit sticky and elastic upon cooking to avoid it sedimenting.

The texture, of this recipe is very fine, almost Kueh like. The flavour, thanks to the wonderful grade of Pulut Hitam I managed to buy, (loved the rich purple colour of the flour upon grinding) was delicious! I do intend to expriment further with the flour to Pulut Hitam ratio. For now, I leave you with this short post as I am on the road now and something to ponder about for your next baking experiment.

5.0 from 1 reviews

Pulut Hitam Pound Cake

Recipe type: Cake, Sweet, Pound Cake

Ingredients
  • 50g Plain flour
  • ⅛tsp Baking powder
  • ⅛tsp Salt
  • 112g Unsalted butter (softened)
  • 80g Castor sugar
  • 2 Large eggs
  • 40ml Coconut cream
  • 50g Ground Pulut Hitam(Black glutinous rice)
  • 10g Glutinous rice flour
  • 120g Water

Instructions
  1. Prepare the Pulut Hitam paste by mixing the ground pulut hitam, glutinous rice flour and water together. Cover and rest the flour mixture in the refrigerator overnight to allow the flour to sediment.
  2. Carefully drain off as much of the water at the top of the flour paste.
  3. Microwave the paste at high power for 1 minute. Set aside to cool.
  4. Preheat oven to 160C.
  5. Sift remaining flour with baking powder and salt and set aside.
  6. Cream butter in mixer at medium high speed until creamy. (about 2 mins) Add sugar gradually and continue beating for 4mins until light and fluffy.
  7. Reduce mixing speed and add eggs one at a time and mix until well combined.
  8. Add Pulut Hitam paste from (2) and mix to blend well.
  9. Add in flour in 2 additions alternating with coconut cream.
  10. Pour into a lined pound cake mould and bake for 70-90mins. (check doneness of cake at 70mins to determine if you need to extend baking time)

Rate this recipe:

1 Joe June 9, 2012

Perhaps you should use a gluten free recipe as your base to work with. I’ve seen some using rice flour so I’m sure you could substitute them, your cake looks a bit like the tapioca kueh, the yellow chewy one.

2 Shirley@Køkken June 9, 2012

Hey Joe, Thanks for the rice flour suggestion… I will definitely keep that in mind. This recipe still tastes like a cake. A fine textured pound cake – so it is not exactly dense or chewy like the tapioca kueh- but I agree, the appearance is still not homogenous.

3 WendyinKK June 9, 2012

I still dared not bake with PH again… a bit worried about the buckwheat like texture.

4 Shirley@Køkken June 9, 2012

Hi Wendy. Yes, I have heard so much about the sandy texture when baking with ground pulut hitam… that’s why I chose to precook it first… almost there…. I will tweak a bit more…

5 Jeannie June 9, 2012

Looks like kueh as Joe said, color looks nice though…would like to see how you tweak it, interesting flavors.

6 Shirley@Køkken June 10, 2012

Hi Jeannie… definitely will be tweaking it. It may look like kueh but it still tastes like a cake :)

7 DG June 9, 2012

Very interesting recipe! I believe the combination pulut hitam with coconut milk certainly bring up nice flavour to the cake ;)

8 Shirley@Køkken June 10, 2012

Hi Doris! Will be tweaking it a bit more. Hey, thanks for the pulut hitam flour. I finished using it while experimenting on chiffon cake… so I don’t think I will be able to find it in Singapore anymore. But grinding it from pulut hitam grains itself is pretty easy to do too… :)

9 Gerry @ Foodness Gracious June 10, 2012

Wow, what a brave experiment but kudos for pulling it off. It looks fantastic..
Bravo..

10 Shirley@Køkken June 10, 2012

thanks, Gerry. I will be tweaking a few more things in the recipe.

11 Ellena | Cuisines Paradise June 10, 2012

Very interesting recipe. I am a big fan of Pulut Hitam too!!! At 1st look, i thought it was chocolate ice-cream cake due to the texture and colour but I am sure it taste just as good as what you have mentioned. I would like to give this a go to :)

12 diablo 3 gold June 15, 2012

I truly appreciate this post. I have been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thanks again

13 Social Submission June 17, 2012

9qg2TB I loved your article post.Really thank you!

14 Diablo 3 Gold June 19, 2012

You can definitely see your enthusiasm in the paintings you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. Always go after your heart.

15 creamdeluxec August 13, 2012

What a great idea! I love pulot hitam too. Will have to give this a shot one day. Good luck with the experiments!

16 Joyce Schoning November 11, 2012

Have you tried coconut flour to obsorbe some of your extra moisture. Use 1/2cup will obsorbe about1/2 cup of liquid.just use 1/2 cup less of your regular flour. Don’t use any more then a 1/2 cup of Coconut flour

17 Jane May 6, 2013

Thanks so much for this interesting recipe. I just tried it using Pulut Hitam flour and it tasted great. Yours looks much more interesting.

18 Shirley@Køkken May 6, 2013