Angel Chiffon Cake

by Shirley@Køkken on April 8, 2012 · 56 comments

in Chiffon Cake, Sweet, Sweets

Angel Chiffon Cake
Light as feather, soft as a whisper…. that’s how I would imagine an Angel’s kiss to be and that is exactly how this cake felt to me. I now wish that I had the sense to make this earlier. Thanks to the left over egg whites from my Mocha Kueh Lapis and to the fact that I could only spare 15mins to potter around in the kitchen, I decided to settle on this straight forward chiffon cake recipe.
Angelchiffon10AngelChiffon5AngelChiffon11
The recipe uses only egg whites, a smidgen of salad oil (I used canola oil) and a light dose of powdered sugar to yield a cake that is so moist and tender with a hint of barely there sweetness. The subtle taste and the pale white colour of the fine pored cake evokes a sense of serenity and poise that is so synonymous with its name. I imagine this to be delicious with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Another big plus for those who hate cleaning up after baking, this recipe is a breeze to clean for there is no oily, buttery, creamy mess. The meringue and the batter rinses out instantly with a tiny drop of washing detergent.

So have you been touched by the Angel yet?

AngelChiffon(250-1)

3.9 from 8 reviews

Angel Chiffon Cake

Recipe type: Sweets, Cake

Ingredients
  • (For a 17cm Chiffon Cake Mold)
  • 40ml Salad Oil (Canola/ Grapeseed oil)
  • 80ml Milk
  • 70g All purpose flour ( I used top flour)
  • ⅛ tsp Salt
  • ¼tsp Vanilla extract
  • 200g Egg white
  • 70g Powdered sugar (Icing Sugar)

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 170C.
  2. In a mixing bowl, mix oil and milk together with a hand whisk.
  3. Sift flour and salt into (2) and mix well with hand whisk until a smooth paste is formed and no lumps are visible.
  4. In another clean mixing bowl, add egg whites and powdered sugar. Mix with a mixer fitted with a balloon whisk until soft white peaks are formed.
  5. Add ⅓ of meringue from (4) into (3) and mix well. Add the remaining meringue and fold to combine using a rubber spatula.
  6. Pour batter into chiffon pan and bake at 170C for 40mins.
  7. Remove cake from oven and cool by standing the pan upside down.

Rate this recipe:

1 Joceline April 8, 2012

我曾做过这个天使蛋糕,本人很喜欢。因为不敢油腻。而且柔软好吃。

2 Jessica @ portuguesegirlcooks April 8, 2012

This cake looks wonderful. One of my favourite summertime cakes.

3 Torviewtoronto April 8, 2012

looks fabulous

4 Passionate About Baking April 8, 2012

I love the holes! Looks really yummy!

5 Kristie April 8, 2012

wow so clean and pure… very angelic cake indeed :-)

6 Sherleen.T April 8, 2012

pure white and soft…:)

7 Elin April 8, 2012

I cant believe I was kissed by your Angel :) I would definitely try this ! Keeping my fingers crossed that it will rise as nice as your for I find baking chiffon intimidating :) It usually collapse on me :)

8 ICook4Fun April 8, 2012

Look so feather light. The Americans here called this cake Angel Food Cake and usually serve it with cream or mix fruits compote. I think your name sounds better.

9 daphne April 8, 2012

How pretty and light these look!! Oh, you make me want to bake more!

10 Ann@Anncoo Journal April 9, 2012

Love this healthy light chiffon cake. Definitely want to bake it for sure!

11 Kokken April 11, 2012

Testing

12 TER LI LI May 8, 2012

Hi

Marvellous Chiffon, with a cup of coffee or tea and a slice of your Pandan Chiffon
Cake.

Cheers!

13 mycookinghut May 23, 2012

Looks really light! I love chiffon cake!

14 Sharon May 30, 2012

Hi your recipes are so wonderful and the pix too! thank you so much. I wondered if there is any way a chiffon cake can be made without the use of dairy/eggs. as i want to make it for a vegan friend. please let me know if u can help. keep up your wonderful creations.

15 shirley@køkken May 31, 2012

Sharon, thank you for your kind words… Unfortunately, I don’t think there is any way to make the chiffon without eggs. The lightness of the chiffon is the result of foaming egg white. Without the foam, the cake will be denser. The texture will be completely different.

16 Yumi Kobayashi June 10, 2012

I was really excited to make this, but was very disappointed in the outcome. The recipe was flawed. You did not put when to put in the vanilla and it was difficult folding in the meringue, when the dough-y part was so liquid-y. Please be more specific next time because i would hate for someone else to put all these ingredients to waste… thank you.

17 Shirley@Køkken June 10, 2012

Hi Yumi, thank you for dropping by. I apologise for missing out the vanilla essence in the recipe. Typically, this should be added to the ‘dough’ mixture. That aside, this recipe works very well. In fact this recipe is from a Japanese Chiffon cookbook. It is not flawed, in fact it is very reliable. However, I do understand that for those who are not used to baking the chiffon cake, this can be very challenging. I know of many who are not able to bake a proper chiffon cake. This angel chiffon recipe will be a greater challenge as you will need to beat the egg white to the right consistency. The dough is supposed to be more fluid than the meringue. Is your meringue very hard? If so you will have problem to incorporate the meringue into the dough. Email me, we can discuss further.

18 Sarah June 11, 2012

I made this cake yesterday and it definitely did not look anything like the cake in the pictures. I also realized that the vanilla was not mentioned in the instructions and didn’t know what to do when I got to the end of the recipe so I just added it to the final cake mixture. Although the cake tasted fine, it turned out extremely flat.

19 Shirley@Køkken June 12, 2012

Hi Sarah, I am sorry to hear that it did not turn out right. But don’t be disheartened. The recipe does work and I have other Asian readers who had tried this recipe with success. I missed out the vanilla extract earlier but this is not the critical factor. Chiffon cake is possibly one of the most difficult cake genre to master. I had to go through my fair share of failure many years ago until I feel comfortable with it. I am traveling now but will connect with you by email after I get back to help you with it.

20 josefina June 14, 2012

I tried the recipe and all I can say is that it worked beautifully¡¡¡….it’s still cooling upside down but the cake raised very much. I used normal sugar, but it haven’t affected the final outcome I think…….Making chiffons is difficult, I va made many failures in the past. One question I have though is how to prevent the final shrinking in the oven?
Thank you very much..
Josefina

21 Shirley@Køkken June 15, 2012

Thanks, Josefina. I am glad it worked for you. I have a couple of readers who had tried this and liked it too. I agree, Chiffon is possibly one of the most difficult cake genres to make and I know it can be frustrating at first. If your cake rises too fast, too much in the oven, it will shrink more as it bakes. What you need to do is to drive out the moisture more slowly. Your oven may be a little hotter than mine. Try baking 5-10C lower and see if it helps.

22 Lokelani June 20, 2012

Hi!! I was wondering on your angel chiffon cake recipe; if there is any way you can tell me direct measurements. Like how much in cups or ounces and exactly how many egg whites instead of 200g.

40ml Salad Oil (Canola/ Grapeseed oil)…. ?? cups
80ml Milk….?? cups
70g All purpose flour ( I used top flour)…..?? cups
200g Egg white??…. cups
70g Powdered sugar (Icing Sugar)??….. cups

Would love to try with exact measurements. Thank you for your help!! :)

23 Shirley@Køkken June 21, 2012

Hi Lokelani – You can’t get more exact measurements than this. I wouldn’t try the Angel Cake or any chiffon cake recipes with cup estimation. Cup estimation is very coarse and needs alot of eye-balling and guessing on the baker’s part and this recipe (like the French macarons) needs precision. I always like to advice my readers from the US to invest in a small digital weighing machine. However, if you really need to convert this, you can refer to this site where you can do the conversion. I use this site all the time to convert from cups to exact measurements (never the other way round)….Good luck! http://www.dianasdesserts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/tools.measures/Measures.cfm

24 chris December 6, 2012

A word of advice: It is essentially IMPOSSIBLE to make Viennoiseries , cakes or confectionary without using very exact measurements. The reason for this is that baking essentially is applied chemistry: You need a specific ration of egg whites versus sugar or you won’t get the desired puffy quality. Same with chocolate (you need to very exactly measure temperature) etc.

“one cup” is essentially a useless description. How much is one cup? 150ml, or maybe 200 or even 300? Same with eggwhites: What are 6 eggwhites? 180 grams? 250 grams?

Long story short: Use anything other than grams, and you are screwed ;)

25 Shirley@Køkken December 8, 2012

Exactly!

26 Jeanette @ Mary's Pastry Lab June 27, 2012

oh my… this is the most beautiful angel chiffon cake i’ve ever seen!!! i so can’t wait to try it out! but i think i’ll mix it with some cocoa powder… will let u know of how it turns out. it’s my first time baking it. so excited!!

27 Shirley@Køkken July 20, 2012

Hi Jeanette – I hope by now you’ve tried out the Angel Chiffon Cake. The chiffon cake is not the easiest cake to master- if you don’t get it exactly right, the first time, don’t be discouraged. Continue trying.

28 CreativeChef July 5, 2012

Hi! i really love this recipe very much. With all the descriptors and photos, Ican’t wait to try this recipe. But just one question.. can i opt out the use of salad oil?

29 Shirley@Køkken July 20, 2012

Hi CreativeChef- I don’t think you can opt out the oil- but I have never tried it though. I suspect it will turn out very dry.

30 thavamani September 18, 2012

i love sponge cake,i used to bake sponge cake but i m vegetarian now,i cant bake it now ,i would b happy if i can get eggless sponge cake,tq

31 Shirley@Køkken September 18, 2012

Hi Thavamani- Sponge is essentially an eggy cake. In fact we commonly call the Sponge, ‘Egg Cake’ in Chinese. Hence I am afraid it is not possible to get an eggless sponge cake. However, there are many other eggless cake recipes (you won’t get the airy spongy texture, though) – will try to feature some soon.

32 student baker October 13, 2012

Hi, I’m wondering how long does it takes to make the meringue? As I know if I whisk it for too long…the air will all be gone..it that right? * I tried to make japanese cheesecake before, but it doesn’t work, and I think I fail it because of the egg white whisking part* Also, could you please teach me the right way of folding the meringue? Thanks =)

33 Shirley@Køkken October 15, 2012

Hi Student Baker – It is difficult to tell you how long to whisk it as every mixer is different. What you should be careful is not to over whisk it otherwise the meringue will split. Hence some books would recommend that you use a hand whisk (electric handheld whisk) instead of the stand mixer as you can control the speed and degree to which you whisk the egg white. Whisk it to the stage where the meringue is medium stiff – meaning, if you invert your whisk, the wiggle of meringue should not drip but still be able to droop a little to form a hook. Once you get this, you can fold it gently into your batter and it should be ok.

34 reb November 4, 2012

I’ve only got a 25cmx10cm chiffon pan what do i need to alter to make this?

35 Shirley@Køkken December 8, 2012

Reb- I recommend you double the recipe. If you have too much batter left, you can always pour them into cupcake liners and bake them together with the chiffon pan.

36 chris December 6, 2012

Hi, i have a question: I followed this recipe however I did not have a chiffon form so I used a large rectangular bread baking form instead. My problem is that the bottom of the cake somehow moved up in the form (after baking it’s concave, or has a dent) and in the inside of the cake there is a small patch which is a lot more solid than the rest of the cake. This small patch is pretty much in the lower 1/3 of the cake throughout. If you have any advice on how to rectify this, it be most appreciated.

Chris

37 Shirley@Køkken December 8, 2012

Hi Chris, I hope your pan is not a non-stick pan. You shouldn’t also line or dust your pan with flour or oil.

38 이미언 January 2, 2013

Hi Chris…

Just want to share a few tips with you. There’s a reason why Angel Cake is always baked using a tube pan (@ chiffon cake mold). The tube or hole in the middle allows the cake batter to rise higher by clinging to the surface of the tube. If you use a rectangular mold, the cake batter in the middle will not be able to cling on anything and will result in a dent in the middle. Also, when you use tube pan, don’t grease the surface. Don’t do anything. Just pour the batter in and you’re set to bake. Hope that helps ^^

39 di February 17, 2013

hi there, I realy like light and soft cakes, as I read comments i will take the risk . hope it turn out as i want, i don’t have the mold. any way i will let you know.thanks

40 Li Shuan March 10, 2013

Thanks for the great recipe! Simply light as feather, I like it very much.

41 Doris May 22, 2013

Hi Shirley,

Can I use a 21cm chiffon cake mould as I only have this one.

Please reply and thanks!

Doris

42 Shirley@Køkken June 10, 2013

Doris – if you use a 21cm chiffon pan, I suggest you work with a 1.5X recipe. If you end up with too much batter, bake the excess batter in cup cake liners…

43 Doris Liu May 22, 2013

Hi Shirley,
What is top flour?
Can I use cake flour and a 21cm tube pan with your recipe?
Do you know why a chiffon cake turned out with a concave base?
It happened twice with me. Don’t know why and scared of baking again. I felt very bad .
Do need help from you.
Thanks
Doris

44 Shirley@Køkken June 10, 2013

Hey Doris, sorry for the late reply. Had been traveling for the last month. Top flour is a low gluten flour that are most suited for softer cakes. I believe your cake flour could be similar but just make sure it does not contain any leavening agents. If in doubt, just use all purpose flour.

For your concave base… did you oil your base? Please do not grease your pan. Also, I am not sure about the temperature of your oven. If you can experiment with your oven temperature (use 10C lower)… that may give you some insight…

45 Doris June 13, 2013

Hi Shirley,

Thank you so much for your advice. I baked again with your recipe and it turned out great. That was my best one! The cake texture is so good, not too moist,not too hard.

For the soft peak of the meringue, I think I only whipped just before soft peak as I noticed it deflated a bit. When I tested the meringue upside down, it was a bit runny.Do you know why.
Anyway, the cake turned out very good. Thanks for your recipe and will try the pandan cake next time.

Doris

46 Shirley@Køkken June 18, 2013

So glad it worked for you, Doris.

47 cz June 6, 2013

can i use a different cake pan?

48 Shirley@Køkken June 10, 2013

Hi CZ, not quite – it most likely will not rise properly. You may be able to get away with a smaller configuration like a cupcake size but most likely it will collapse a little in the center…

49 ivanna August 6, 2013

Thanks for posting the recipe. I also got lots of egg white leftover after making kueh lapis. My chiffon cake didnt come out perfect as d bottom got stuck a bit to d aluminium pan. Any tips on this? Nevertheless.. tasted great and my 2 girls love it! Baked it last night and as of this morning only left 2 (rather chunky) slices.

50 Shirley@Køkken August 7, 2013

Hi Ivanna – The base will stick to the pan. What you will need to do is to use a paring knife and insert it between the pan base and the cake… carefully run it round the base to release the cake. Also, you will need round the tube to release cake…

51 ivanna August 26, 2013

Thx Shirley!

I did what you told me and the cake turned out nicer than my previous one. I think I was always too impatient when cutting t00(can’t wait to eat the cake). Really love the recipe!

52 Shirley@Køkken September 1, 2013

Hi Ivanna- glad that it turned out better. Keep baking and you will perfect it! :)

53 Ai Mei August 18, 2013

Made this last night. I doubled the recipe for a 25cm pan but I might try 2.5x next time as the height was not as impressive as your beautiful cake. Still, it was definitely a hit. Not a crumb left. Served with some whipped cream. Delicious! Thank you so much for a delightful way to use up the egg whites in my freezer. Keep up the great work.

54 Shirley@Køkken September 1, 2013

Hi Aimei- So glad it you and your family liked this :)