Seafood and Asparagus Risotto

by Shirley@Køkken on December 1, 2011 · 26 comments

in One Dish, Rice, Savoury, Seafood

Seafood Risotto
I had some vague idea about Risotto. Somewhere in the back of my mind is a dusty impression of some recipe I had read somewhere… an impression that involves the cook standing over the stove stirring non-stop and at some point, adding white wine. Then came Hell’s Kitchen’s superimposing impression of Gordon Ramsay sending back plates of sub-par risottos cooked by the contestants…

Rice1

Risotto2

When I came across Bill Granger’s Crab and Asparagus Risotto in his bright and breezy Bills Food, I decided it is time for me to cook my first Risotto. This recipe does not call for white wine and works with a simple list of ingredients. In retrospect, if this is a representative recipe of Risotto, then, it is actually quite simple to prepare – all one needs is alot of patience.

Throughout the preparation, I was able to keep my work bench quite bare and clutter free… the first sign of a simple recipe. If you have 30 mins to stand in front of the stove and stir patiently, you will be rewarded with a wholesome, tasty one dish meal.

I used Canaroli Rice which absorbed the stock well to yield a nice creamy risotto.  In addition to the crab meat, I had also added in some fresh scallops and dried scallops to intensify the flavour.
More hands-on in its preparation than the Chinese congee/rice porridge, the risotto tastes richer and more creamy than the former. Just like the Chinese congee, this is best served while it is hot. By the time I finished photographing the plated portion, it had cooled down and turned somewhat cakey. (kuih like) I had to add more stock and heat it up again.

With a whole kilo worth of Canaroli Rice sitting in my pantry now, this will not be the last time you see a Risotto recipe on this blog..

1 Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets December 1, 2011

Congrats on joining FB ;p. I don't use it much except for the blog's page, but will hop over to friend you. This risotto looks too good!

2 pickyin @ LifeIsGreat December 1, 2011

I love risotto and used to order it whenever I eat out at restaurants which have it on their menu. Suffice to say I was never satisfied – they were always just slightly undercooked. It's like the chefs always take it out 5 minutes short of 30 and call it a day.

Recently I made some also with the carnaroli, porcini and some chanterelle I 'found'. Looks like I'll never eat risotto outside again! (Oh and hello in FB!)

3 Jane Chew December 1, 2011

I don't lie risotto

4 Anh December 1, 2011

wonderful! I haven't had risotto for a long time

5 Shirley @ Kokken69 December 1, 2011

@ Xiaolu : Yes, I don't really use FB much. I have a personal account which I have not been active for like a year or more! A number of people has asked me to set up an account for the blog for easy following… :)

@ Pickyin – I agree. But I also wonder if Asians generally prefer their rice softer. When we feel is undercooked, could be considered as al dente by the westerners…

@Jane – Thanks! I am fortunate to have a supporter like you :)

6 pickyin@LifeIsGreat December 1, 2011

I don't like my rice soft (and not my family a well) so I don't think this is an Asian thing.

What I meant by underdone is that hint of crunchiness in the middle of the grain. This also happens when the chef rushes to cook it over higher heat instead of gently massaging the rice for 1/2 hour. The outside will be soft but inside too hard. Al dente is soft and creamy with just a little bit of bite to it (according to JO at least heh…)

By the time I took my photos, mine was not cakey only not warm. I tented it and warmed it in a low oven before eating.

7 Lisa H. December 1, 2011

I hadn't a clue what risotto was… back in KL until I moved here..:D

8 Shirley @ Kokken69 December 1, 2011

@Pickyin… hmm… looks like I will need to try this again.

9 wendyywy @ Table for 2..... or more December 1, 2011

The only time I had something with arborio rice, it was undercooked. Bad experience. I must get some raw ones the next time I go to KL. Seeing urs make me itch to cook it myself.

10 pickyin @ LifeIsGreat December 1, 2011

Interestingly, this Italian cook advocated the usage of a wooden spoon for the stirring. On the other hand, I vaguely remember George Calombaris in MCAU saying there shouldn't be too much stirring going on, just gently agitating the rice by moving the pan around to release the starch. I'm leaning towards the Italian though.

11 Elin December 1, 2011

Shirley…I agree this looks tasty and flavorful ! I am itching to try this out but first must get the arborio rice :) thanks for sharing the recipe. Have bookmarked this !

12 Joanne December 1, 2011

Mmm I LOVE risotto but definitely don't make it enough. You've got some great flavors going on in this!

13 Yuri - Chef Pandita December 1, 2011

I can't believe this was your first time making risotto. Looks delicious! Can I suggest you open a FB page for your blog? It's easier for people to keep up with your foodie posts :)

14 Swee San @ The Sweet Spot December 2, 2011

mmm I love a good risotto. One of the nicest I've ate was in Lygon street in Melbourne with gorgonzola.. Well, saying that I actually don't eat much risotto outside.. heh :/ I love how clean your risotto look! :)

15 mycookinghut December 2, 2011

Lovely looking risotto! I am a big fan!!

16 Jo December 2, 2011

Congrats on joining the FB ranks. I'm not too active either but do post once in a while. I'm not a huge fan of risotto but once in a while is ok. I still prefer our Asian glutinious rice.

17 peasepudding December 2, 2011

I do love risotto particularly with simple flavours and this looks delicious. I have just made a fennel risotto which we really enjoyed.

18 pierre December 2, 2011

i should also jump soon to fb !!!
chers de paris
Pierre

19 Von December 2, 2011

haha…I hate it when you finish photographing something, only to find that it has cooled down :( I'm always too lazy to reheat it!

I've never made risotto, because I don't like it enough to buy rice just to make it :) haha…. This look really tasty (and pretty!!) though- and I love that it doesn't use white wine (something which you won't be able to find in my kitchen!)!

20 shaz@feedingmykidsbetter December 2, 2011

I love how it looks so light. Risotto can be so heavy-going with too much cheese. Yours look perfect.

21 noobcook December 6, 2011

your risotto looks great and fresh tasting.

22 Ribbon Clown December 9, 2011

I had my first and last risotto in Rome. Really wish I could spoon some from your pic here. Looks delicious!

BTW, I love the rice grain pic very much. Where did you get it? outside or inside SG?

23 Shirley @ Kokken69 December 9, 2011

@Ribbon Clown : The rice is actually Canaroli rice. I got it from NTUC Finest… it came in a box… not too expensive…

24 Ribbon Clown December 10, 2011

Great! I'm in Thompson mall now.. might check on it later.. Thanks :D

25 Jenny December 25, 2011

I recommend that you try risotto Milanese next, another simple but divine tasting comfort food!

26 lisa October 23, 2012

so you just use seafood stock… no wine or cream…