Traditional Baked Mooncake

by Shirley@Køkken on September 11, 2011 · 28 comments

in Chinese, Mooncake, Pastries

Mooncake10

Mooncake1

Mooncake9

When I went to get my mooncake ingredients at Kwong Cheong Thye 2 weekends ago, I was suprised to see the little alley way along Geylang Lorong 27 jammed with vehicles and the shop house corridor blocked by a long queue leading to a traditional Teochew pastry shop. The shop, Thye Moh Chan Cake House has been selling traditional Teochew pastry and mooncake for almost 70 years and they have decided to close down the business as no one in the family was interested to inherit and continue with this traditional craft.

I have never eaten any pastry from Thye Moh Chan so I have little attachment to the shop. Nevertheless, it was still sad to see something so steep in heritage die in our fast paced, modern world. I had mentioned before how I hope our younger generation will not grow up only knowing how to make muffins, macarons and cupcakes. With pretty images of these western treats galore on the internet, everyone dreams of creating treats ala Pierre Herme, Adriano Zumbo…. However,I believe the internet can still cast its influences in many ways. Take for example, I would never ever have dreamt of making my own mooncake last year, if not for this little space which I call my food blog. Just like what I had mentioned in my last Durian Snowskin Mooncake post, baking these pastries is not as difficult as what it seems. True, we don’t take the trouble to cook the lotus paste from scratch nowadays but if that is the little compromise we choose to make to connect with our heritage, it is, in my opinion, a harmless little indulgence.

So I promise you that you will continue to see my mooncake features for the many many Mid Autumn Festivals (mooncake festival) to come.  Happy Mid Autumn Festival to all Asians who will be celebrating this day of reunion.

Mooncake5

I am submitting this entry to Aspiring Bakers #11: Mid-Autumn Treats (September 2011) hosted by Happy Home Baker.
Mooncake10(250)
Recipe :
Dough (from Kowng Cheong Thye)
300g             Hong Kong Flour
180g             Golden syrup
60g               Peanut Oil
1 tbs             Alkaline Water

For rest of ingredients and method, please refer here.

1 Jane Chew September 11, 2011

very nice! Thumb up! Happy mid autumn festival to u n ur family.

2 茄子 September 11, 2011

你的摄影真的是一流的,太美了!
祝你和家人中秋节快乐!

3 Min September 11, 2011

Nice one! I love the traditional one also. Happy Mid Autumn Festival to you and your family!

4 Anh September 11, 2011

fantastic!! I did not have time to make them this year! yours look perfect

5 thecoffeesnob September 11, 2011

These are just gorgeous, Shirley! I wanted to try making my own mooncakes this year but was overwhelmed with gifted boxes of mooncakes I couldn't bear the thought of eating, what more making, more. I definitely have to give them a shot next year!

Happy mid autumn festival to you, Shirley!

6 Anncoo September 11, 2011

中秋节快乐!

7 Jeannie September 11, 2011

Beautifully done! Very even color and I too love plain mooncakes rather than those with yolks. Happy Mid Autumn Festival to you too:)

8 daphne September 11, 2011

Happy mid autumn festival to you too!! Memories of the lovely mooncakes. I think that looks fabulous and whoever eats it will savour it for sure.

9 edith September 12, 2011

I felt so sad now after reading your post. I was just there on Sat to get my last round of mooncake supplies, and of course I witnessed an unbelieveable queue. No wonder, all are going for their last fix of traditional teochew moonies. A real pity.

10 Small Small Baker September 12, 2011

I saw the long queue too. Today will be their last day of business. Feel sad too.

Your mooncakes look perfect! Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you and your family!

11 Quay Po Cooks September 12, 2011

Happy Mid Autumn Festival to you Shirley. You do everything to perfection! This is the only moon cake that I am crazy about, the traditional one. Yours look so professional done. Your photos? aah! lovely composition as always!

12 Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) September 12, 2011

pretty mooncakes! 祝你中秋节快乐!

13 Sally - My Custard Pie September 12, 2011

I cannot believe these are homemade – you are so talented, and must have extreme patience!

14 Anonymous September 12, 2011

Shirley, your moon cake looks great! Can I ask where did you get the single tin box?

15 Honey Bee Sweets September 12, 2011

Your mooncakes are always so perfect Shirley. :) Happy mid Autumn Festival!

16 Jo September 13, 2011

Shirley, your baked mooncakes look gorgeous and thanks for recommending KTC. I was there a couple of weeks ago and there was a very long queque at the Teochew pastry shop. Surprisingly when I was at KTC in mid Aug, there was no one at all. But once the news came out of it's closing, everyone was flocking to that place. Makes me think if such news could turn a business around!

17 Priya September 13, 2011

The moon cakes look fabulous. I was lucky to taste a few of them at work today when a kind colleague got some for all of us. Happy Mid-Autumn Festival to you!

18 Alice September 13, 2011

look so pretty! what a wonderful mooncakes :)

19 Shirley @ Kokken69 September 14, 2011

@Anonymous: Hi, I bought a few mini mooncakes for a charity drive in Hong Kong… and they came in those boxes..:)

20 Ellie | Gourmand Recipes September 14, 2011

Hi Shirley, your baking, styling and photographing skills are getting better each day. Love it!

21 penny aka jeroxie September 14, 2011

I like the ones with york. and I love your skin. So nice and thin.

22 Julia @Mélanger September 15, 2011

When I saw the title of this post, I was excited. Even though mooncakes are not something I've grown up with (British-Australian), they are nevertheless something I'm now very familiar with living here in Brisbane. I was keen to learn more about the tradition of the mooncake in your post. I then read about the story of the store closing, and reminded me of a Nordic bakery closing here in Brisbane after 40 years with no one picking up and carrying on the tradition. My fear was the same as yours. That the more popular, 'western' baked goods are winning over tradition. It's a shame. But at least bloggers can keep that tradition alive, no?

23 Janine September 18, 2011

I read that very same article with a sinking sort of feeling – it is really sad that a little part of our heritage is dying and that the younger generations simply do not see the uniqueness of our mixed heritage. I for one am guilty of baking muffins and cupcakes and other western confectioneries instead of learning the traditional kuehs from my mom and grandma. But thanks to my blog, i'm experimenting and embracing our unique kuehs and such once more :D

24 Elizabeth September 17, 2012

Hi, I love your food, styled so beautifully and nice recipes. My background is very anglo-Aussie but last year I married a beautiful man of malaysian heritage so am learning to love all things pandan and sticky rice. This year I am going to host a moon festival party for my in-laws at our place and want to have a crack at making some mooncakes for them. However when I click on the link at the bottom of your post for more details re steps and recipe it takes me to an old page of yours that automatically redirects to your new homepage instead… can you please send me the recipe.

Thankyou,

25 Shirley@Køkken September 17, 2012

Hi Elizabeth – thank you for dropping by. I have fixed the link. You should be able to access it now.

26 Janice September 11, 2013

Hi Shirley,
As I’m trying to find some traditional mooncake recipes, I came across your blog…I was attracted by your photos and decide to use your recipe. But bcos I don’t have plain flour on hand, so I use HK flour but the dough seems to be too soft to handle. I threw away the dough and try again using the KCT proportions that u posted, it works. Does the problem lies on the flour?

27 Shirley@Køkken October 13, 2013

Hi Janice- yes possibly because HK flour has very low gluten level and hence may be too soft. HK flour is best used for sponge, chiffon or Bao…